Thursday, March 27, 2014

Hey good lookin'! What ya got cookin'...{Paleo}

{How about cookin' somethin' up with me!}

I've been having so much fun cooking from the cookbook my sister Andrea  got me for my birthday! Click image for a direct link!



So, here is my not-so-expert-in-the-kitchen review! Enjoy! All this is Paleo/Gluten Free! If you do not know what Paleo is see my resources at the bottom of the post. 

Displaying image.jpeg
IMAGE: Left: Experiment #1 Right: Experiment #2
                                                                              
















{Experiment #1: "Cheesy" Kale Chips}

(Not REAL cheese...no dairy in Paleo!)
Ingredients:
Kale
Coconut Oil
Nutritional Yeast (I did not use this...but I will next time. It will make it crispy.)
Salt and Pepper to taste --> I used Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning. But you can season it with whatever you like!
Review: 
Super simple to make and tasted really good! I buy a head of kale instead of a bag because I save about $1. I probably used 1/4 of the kale for the chips and the rest I made a kale salad. The kale salad is not in the cookbook. I'll post that later. 

{Experiment #2: "Spicy Crab, Avocado & Grapefruit Nori Rolls"}
I can't even wait to tell you in the review...these were AMAZING!!!
Ingredients: 
Homemade Mayonnaise (I made the homemade mayo from the cookbook. Review: Simple and yummy!)
Can of sustainable crab meat
Fresh Cilantro, Chives, Mint
Toasted (Roasted is the same thing) Nori Wraps
Avocado
Snow Peas
Grapefruit
Daikon Radish (This was not at Tom Thumbs so I did not get it. I probably wont add it. It was delicious without it!) 
Review:
If you like sushi THIS is for you! There were a lot of steps to this recipe so be sure to set aside some time. It is soooo worth the time and effort. I was even able to eat it for three meals! 

{Experiment #3: "Sweet Potato Apple-Cinnamon Pancakes}
Ingredients: 
Mashed Sweet potatoes (Note: I made mine over the weekend using 3 small sweet potatoes and froze then in 1 cup portions. Smart thinkin'!)
1 Gala Apple - grated (I do NOT recommend replacing with apple sauce. Stick with the recipe folks!)
1 Egg
Cinnamon
Potato Startch (Because EVERYTHING Paleo is gluten free!)
Salt
Coconut oil for greasing the pan
Review:
To simple and to yummy to not try! Especially if you freeze 1 cup servings of sweet potatoes before hand. I also cooked turkey beacon with mine. I will be having the leftovers for lunch tomorrow! I used sugar free syrup...NO, that's not paleo. ( ; 

How to cookie beacon like a boss? Pre-heat oven to 350', grease a pan, lay beacon on pan, cook 20 minutes and DONE! It may take less then 20 so just keep an eye on it! 

{Experiment #4: "Strawberry Watermelon Mint Smoothie"}
Frozen Strawberries (Frozen to make the smoothie cold b/c you do not use ice.)
Watermelon (Seedless is your BFF!)
Full Fat Coconut Milk (I used LITE coconut milk from a can.)
Fresh Mint Leaves 
Lime
1 Raw Egg (Optional. I did not use the egg.)
Review: 
I had this smoothie 4 mornings in a row! So, I guess you'd say I liked it! The coconut milk makes the smoothie so smooth and texture perfect! I did NOT use the raw egg and the smoothie kept me satisfied for breakfast until lunch time. 

{Tips!}
Amazon Prime membership is a must if you decided to purchase various ingredients online. Why? FREE 2 day shipping. I purchased potato flour, Coconut Flour, and Tapioca Flour. They may also be refereed to as startch. I also ordered Paleo Caveman Cookies! Great little addition to my lunch I pack for work. 

{Resource Recommendation}
 
Take a look around the Balanced Bits website as well!

Enjoy The Journey!
Jerri K. 




No comments:

Post a Comment