Saturday, September 11, 2010

If Jesus is my portion.

     Today was my Great Aunt Louise’s funeral service. Nearly a month ago I was sitting across from her telling her all about the next year and what all I will be doing. A few days later my parents told me that her cancer had return from many years ago. And less than 3 weeks later God in all His mercy welcomed her home, keeping her from having to bear the pains of cancer. We all knew this day would come. It was assumed that we would have a few more months with her. The services were beautiful. Filled with the Word of God and evidence of a life well lived. Please be praying her husband of 59 years, Uncle Clark (Not a typo. Isn’t that amazing!?). As well as, her son and daughter and grandchildren.
     The day my Aunt passed away I read a verse; “They still bear fruit in old age…”Psalm 92. She was an example of this verse. Even after her death the fruits of her prayers and love for the Lord are still flourishing. Hearing of her marriage I cannot help but desire 59 years of mine someday. What a sweet example of our Father sovereignty over two lives becoming one.
     One of the songs she requested be played was; “His eye is on the Sparrow”. My dad later told me that this song is played at a lot of the funerals of the Ware families because my great-grandpa (Aunt Louise’s father) was known for humming and whistling this old hymn often. And that small “Habit” of his stuck with so many people. So naturally I had that hymn stuck in my head most of the day. It would also be no coincidence when my bible reading for today happened to be in Matthew 6. “Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not more valuable than they?”
     This is such peace from my Father. Just a few days ago I caught myself falling right back into anxiousness. But if Jesus is my portion…why? I need forgiveness for not taking Him as His Word. He is God is he not? Then WHY should I ever give any anxious thought a second thought?

     From what I learned of my Aunt today, she really did live a life of faith and service to God everyday. It was said of her that, "I have never seen anyone with such peace about death." It is because my Aunt Louise knows Jesus. She put her turst in Him and lived her life For Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment